Switching to Blogofile

September 28, 2010 at 01:03 PM | categories: Website, Programming | View Comments

So wordpress is out

It had a nice run, and really did a lot of things I liked, highest among those being that it worked. But even with my vim plugin for posting to the site, I never really found myself happy with the whole setup. Then I stumbled upon blogofile via a fork I spied in my github feed. After inspecting the project and reading though the docs a bit I decided to give it a try.

Conversion process

It was criminal how simple this was. I added Disqus comments (should have done that ages ago) and imported all my old comments to the account. After that I followed the directions to switch from wordpress and used the two scripts they provided. After a few mysql hickups (dumped the db to a machine that had python-mysql), the scripts worked flawlessly.

I now had all of my posts, not a lot granted, in html blogofile form. Now I mainly switched so that I could write up my posts in rst which I like a lot, and use in other projects. So now I had some conversions to make by hand to get these posts into rst form.

After some hand editing

I go to publish the site, and it's not liking my code directives. I use these in other presentations and forgot that I'd made some changes to use the directive, which I go into more depth about in a previous post, but needed to now retrofit into this project.

The simple blog template had some helpers, but I had to pull the rst_template.py filter from the blogofile.com template and edit it to give me the highlighting control that I wanted.

rst_template.py changes

# Set to True if you want inline CSS styles instead of classes
STYLE = "fruity"

from pygments.formatters import HtmlFormatter

# The default formatter
DEFAULT = HtmlFormatter(noclasses=INLINESTYLES, style=STYLE)

# Add name -> formatter pairs for every variant you want to use
        'linenos': HtmlFormatter(noclasses=INLINESTYLES, linenos=False),

from docutils import nodes
from docutils.parsers.rst import directives, Directive
from docutils.core import publish_parts, default_description

from pygments import highlight
from pygments.lexers import get_lexer_by_name, TextLexer

class Pygments(Directive):
    """ Source code execution.
    required_arguments = 1
    optional_arguments = 0
    final_argument_whitespace = True
    option_spec = dict([(key, directives.flag) for key in VARIANTS])
    has_content = True

    def run(self):
            lexer = get_lexer_by_name(self.arguments[0])
        except ValueError:
            # no lexer found - use the text one instead of an exception
            lexer = TextLexer()
        # take an arbitrary option if more than one is given
        formatter = self.options and VARIANTS[self.options.keys()[0]] or DEFAULT

        print >>open('css/pygments_fruity.css', 'w'), formatter.get_style_defs(
        parsed = highlight(u'\n'.join(self.content), lexer, formatter)
        return [nodes.raw('', parsed, format='html')]

config = {
    'name' : "reStructuredText",
    'description' : "Renders reStructuredText formatted text to HTML",
    'aliases' : ['rst']

def run(content):
    directives.register_directive('sourcecode', Pygments)
    directives.register_directive('code', Pygments)
    directives.register_directive('code', Pygments)

    description = ('Generates S5 (X)HTML slideshow documents from standalone '
            'reStructuredText sources.  ' + default_description)

    return publish_parts(content, writer_name='html')['html_body']

So I added a lot into my site, and put in the theme I wanted to use in the css/ folder so that the style would publish when I build the site.

- blog comments powered by Disqus